The Couch Potato is an annual MTB race with a short enough course to make it doable from ‘off the couch’. This is if you have some prior miles in your legs and used to the Pisgah terrain. Rolling over rugged mining roads, classic Pisgah singletrack, cursing climbs and giggling descents, this course will test your skills and desire as you explore the intoxicating terrain of the Pisgah National Forest. Treating you to the finest trails at the entrance of the Forest. Good food, brews and comradely will be at the finish to comfort you after a long day in the saddle!
THIS RACE IS LIMITED BY THE US FOREST SERVICE TO 200 PARTICIPANTS
Start Time: Packet pickup starts at 7:00 am. There will be a Race Meeting at the Start line at 8:55 am. Every racer must attend meeting. You must have your shuttled items ready by 8:50am. Race start will begin promptly at 9:00 a.m.
Rest Stops/First Aid: There will be two fully-stocked rest stops on the course. The rest stops have food, Energy Drinks, and H₂O. We have a drop system organized so you can arrange to have your personal supplies at the rest stops. We do not ship items left from rest stop shuttle. First Aid will be at every rest area and the Start/Finish area. Restroom facilities are also at the Start/Finish.
When will Rest Stop Items Return?
- Rest Stop 1 and 2 items will be back around 2:00 pm
Location: From the entrance of Pisgah Forest at the corner of US 64 and Hwy 276/280 go north on Hwy 276. After 1 mile, you will see the entrance of the venue
Parking: Parking located across from venue, next to venue at work center parking lot as well as at the Ranger Station parking lot. Signs will be out to assist
Camping: Free camping is available within the forest for free. you must be 1000’ off the road, Davidson River group campground is directly across from the start/ finish. You may not camp at start/ finish area. Here is a map for camping suggestions.
Weather: Weather mid November in the forest is generally 40-50 degrees around race time and can either warm up to the 60’s or drop in the low 30’s. Riders have seen snowflakes a few times. Check the weather before you leave and be prepared for all conditions!
T Shirts: T-shirts are optional to all preregistered participants (register on or before October 16th for a t-shirt). Sure to be the envy of all your friends.
For 2022, all of Blue Ridge Adventures’ races help support the Bread of Life.
Free Primitive Camping (no toilets, no showers) offered on the FS roads. Here is a map for camping suggestions. If you should require showers and amenities, please visit one of the websites listed below.
- Foggy Bottom Cabins: Located in Pisgah Forest, these newly renovated, historic 1950’s cabins feature: 1 bedroom, 1 bath, living room, a fully equipped kitchen, screened front porch, dedicated driveways, spaces to clean and work on bikes or wash other outdoor gear, and high-speed internet.
- Sunset Motel: The Sunset Motel is a quaint retro 20-room accommodation .25m to Main Street. Each room has front door parking, wifi, HBO, microwave, fridge, coffee pot. Bike Wash and rags provided. Bikes allowed in rooms with tarp. 3 pet rooms available.
- Davidson River Campground: Facilities provided include fire rings, picnic tables, lantern posts, gravel tent pads, hot showers, and flush toilets. Reservations required. Starting at $28 with an extra fee for electric hookup. RV and group sites available. Plan on reserving early enough to ensure yourself a camp spot.
- Holiday Inn Express: Heated outdoor pool, fitness center, free local phone calls, wireless internet access, and a complimentary breakfast. Pet friendly with a fee.
- Hampton Inn: Free breakfast, high speed internet access, cable TV, AAA hotel diamond rated, fitness room, pool. No pets.
- Comfort Inn: Free grab ‘n’ go breakfast, high speed internet access, cable TV, fitness room, pool, laundry. No pets.
*Mask must be worn at registration as well as the start of the race until you hit pavement. You must also wear a mask in the case that you require EMS help.
*Racers will be spaced 6 feet apart at start of race with mandatory mask on until they reach the trails
- 4:00pm-6:00pm – Registration & packet pick-up at Sycamore Cycles (112 Hendersonville Hwy, Pisgah Forest)
- 7:00am-8:30am – Registration & packet pickup at Start/Finish line
- 8:50am – Shuttle items must be dropped off
- 8:55am – Mandatory racer meeting
- Race start:
- 9:00am – Mass start
- 11:00-11:15am – First finisher expected
- 12:00pm – Shuttled Items from Rest Stop 1 expected back
- 12:30pm – Awards Ceremony #1
- 1:30pm – Awards Ceremony #2
- 2:00pm – Shuttled Items from Rest Stop 2 expected back