The Couch Potato is an annual MTB race with a short enough course to make it doable from ‘off the couch’. Rolling over rugged mining roads, classic Pisgah singletrack, cursing climbs and giggling descents, this course will test your skills and desire as you explore the intoxicating terrain of the Pisgah National Forest. Good food, brews and a camp fire will be at the finish to comfort you after a long day in the saddle!
THIS RACE IS LIMITED BY THE US FOREST SERVICE TO 150 PARTICIPANTS
Start Time: Packet pickup starts at 8:00 am. There will be a Race Meeting at the Start line at 9:50 am. Every racer must attend meeting. You must have your shuttled items ready by 9:45 am. Race start will begin promptly at 10:00 a.m.
Rest Stops/First Aid: There will be three fully-stocked rest stops on the course. The rest stops have food, CLIF Energy Drinks, and H₂O. We have a drop system organized so you can arrange to have your personal supplies at the rest stops. First Aid will be at every rest area and the Start/Finish area. Restroom facilities are also at the Start/Finish.
When will Rest Stop Items Return?
- Rest Stop 1’s items will be back around 1:00 pm
- Rest Stop 2’s items will be back around 3:00 pm
Location: From the entrance of Pisgah Forest at the corner of US 64 and Hwy 276/280 go north on Hwy 276. After 4.5 miles, take a left onto F.S. Rd. (475-A). Travel 475-A for 3 miles, Cove Creek Group Campground is on the right.
Parking: Parking is limited due to rules governing parking in Pisgah’s group campgrounds. Please carpool.
Camping: Free camping is available outside the Cove Creek group campground. Here is a map for camping suggestions.
Weather: Weather mid November in the forest is generally 40-50 degrees around race time and can either warm up to the 60’s or drop in the low 30’s. Riders have seen snowflakes a few times. Check the weather before you leave and be prepared for all conditions!
T Shirts: T-shirts are optional to all preregistered participants (register on or before October 6th for a t-shirt). Sure to be the envy of all your friends.
For 2019, all of Blue Ridge Adventures’ races help support the Bread of Life.
Free Primitive Camping (no toilets, no showers) offered on the FS roads outside the Cove Creek Group Campground. NO CAMPING IN THE COVE CREEK GROUP CAMPGROUND. Here is a map for camping suggestions. If you should require showers and amenities, please visit one of the websites listed below.
- Sunset Motel: The Sunset Motel is a quaint retro 20-room accommodation .25m to Main Street. Each room has front door parking, wifi, HBO, microwave, fridge, coffee pot. Bike Wash and rags provided. Bikes allowed in rooms with tarp. 3 pet rooms available.
- Pilot Cove Cabins: FOREST LODGING
Our modern cabins offer luxuries to make your stay comfortable. Often referred to as ‘deckhouses,’ these cabins are designed to seamlessly interact with the outdoors. Fully appointed and finely finished with a kitchen, bathroom, living area, washer/dryer, mudroom, covered deck, secure bike storage, bike wash station, and private parking, these cabins are your perfect home away from home in the mountains.
- Davidson River Campground: Facilities provided include fire rings, picnic tables, lantern posts, gravel tent pads, hot showers, and flush toilets. Reservations required. Starting at $18 with $2 extra for river sites. RV and group sites available. Plan on arriving early enough to ensure yourself a camp spot.
- Holiday Inn Express: Heated outdoor pool, fitness center, free local phone calls, wireless internet access, and a complimentary breakfast. Pet friendly with a fee.
- Hampton Inn: Free breakfast, high speed internet access, cable TV, AAA hotel diamond rated, fitness room, pool. No pets.
- 4:00pm-6:00pm – Registration & packet pick-up at Sycamore Cycles (112 Hendersonville Hwy, Pisgah Forest)
- 8:00am-9:30am – Registration & packet pickup at Cove Creek Campground
- 9:45am – Shuttle items must be dropped off
- 9:55am – Mandatory racer meeting
- 10:00am – Race start
- 12:00pm – Rest Stop 1 Cutoff
- 12:15-12:30pm – First finisher expected
- 1:00pm – Shuttled Items from Rest Stop 1 expected back
- 1:30pm – Awards Ceremony #1
- 1:45pm – Industry Nine Raffle auction ends
- 2:00pm – Rest Stop 2 Cutoff
- 2:30pm – Awards Ceremony #2
- 3:00pm – Shuttled Items from Rest Stop 2 expected back