Sample some of Pisgah’s best trails in this great season closer – including the best trails at the front of the Forest!
The Swank 65 is MTB racing at its most primeval, far removed from civilization and polluted air. The race begins at 2200 feet, and consists of some of the best trail networks in Pisgah National Forest. Rolling over rugged mining roads, fun singletrack, tough climbs and hell-raising descents, the exhilarating course will test your skills and desire as you explore the devilish terrain of the Pisgah National Forest.
THIS RACE IS LIMITED BY THE US FOREST SERVICE TO 200 PARTICIPANTS.
Start Time: Packet pickup at 7:00 am. There will be a Race Meeting at the Start line at 8:55am. Every racer must attend meeting. You must have your shuttled items ready by 8:45 am. Race start will begin promptly at 9:00 am.
Rest Stops/First Aid: There will be three fully-stocked rest stops on the course. The rest stops have food, Energy Drinks, and H₂O. We have a drop system organized so you can arrange to have your personal supplies at the rest stops. First Aid will be at every rest area and the Start/Finish area. Restroom facilities are also at the Start/Finish.
When will Rest Stop Items Return?
- Rest Stop 1 items will be back around 2:00 pm.- we will not ship left items
- Rest Stop 2 items will be back around 4:00 pm. – we will not ship left items
Location: From the entrance of Pisgah Forest at the corner of US 64 and Hwy 276/280 go north on Hwy 276. After 1 mile, you will see the entrance of the venue.
Parking: Parking located across from venue, next to venue at work center parking lot as well as at the Ranger Station parking lot. Signs will be out to assist.
Camping: Free camping is available within the forest for free. you must be 1000’ off the road, Davidson River group campground is directly across from the start/ finish. Younmay not camp at start/ finish area. Here is a map for camping suggestions.
Weather: Weather mid November in the forest is generally 40-50 degrees around race time and can either warm up to the 60’s or drop in the low 30’s. Riders have seen snowflakes a few times.
Check the weather before you leave and be prepared for all conditions!
T Shirts: T-shirts are optional to all preregistered participants (register on or before October 17th for a t-shirt). Sure to be the envy of all your friends.
For 2021, all of Blue Ridge Adventures’ races help support the Bread of Life.
Free Primitive Camping (no toilets, no showers) offered on the FS roads outside the Cove Creek Group Campground. NO CAMPING IN THE COVE CREEK GROUP CAMPGROUND. Here is a map for camping suggestions. If you should require showers and amenities, please visit one of the websites listed below.
- Sunset Motel: The Sunset Motel is a quaint retro 20-room accommodation .25m to Main Street. Each room has front door parking, wifi, HBO, microwave, fridge, coffee pot. Bike Wash and rags provided. Bikes allowed in rooms with tarp. 3 pet rooms available.
- Pilot Cove Cabins: FOREST LODGING – Our modern cabins offer luxuries to make your stay comfortable. Often referred to as ‘deckhouses,’ these cabins are designed to seamlessly interact with the outdoors. Fully appointed and finely finished with a kitchen, bathroom, living area, washer/dryer, mudroom, covered deck, secure bike storage, bike wash station, and private parking, these cabins are your perfect home away from home in the mountains.
- Davidson River Campground: Facilities provided include fire rings, picnic tables, lantern posts, gravel tent pads, hot showers, and flush toilets. Reservations required. Starting at $18 with $2 extra for river sites. RV and group sites available. Plan on arriving early enough to ensure yourself a camp spot.
- Holiday Inn Express: Heated outdoor pool, fitness center, free local phone calls, wireless internet access, and a complimentary breakfast. Pet friendly with a fee.
- Hampton Inn: Free breakfast, high speed internet access, cable TV, AAA hotel diamond rated, fitness room, pool. No pets.
- Comfort Inn: Free grab ‘n’ go breakfast, high speed internet access, cable TV, fitness room, pool, laundry. No pets.
*Mask must be worn at registration as well as the start of the race until you hit pavement. You must also wear a mask in the case that you require EMS help.
*Racers will be spaced 6 feet apart at start of race with mandatory mask on until they reach the trails
- 4:00pm-6:00pm – Early packet pick-up at Sycamore Cycles (112 Hendersonville Hwy, Pisgah Forest)
- 3:00pm-5:00pm – Early packet pick-up at Sycamore Cycles (112 Hendersonville Hwy, Pisgah Forest)
- 7:00-8:30am – Registration packet pickup at Start/Finish line
- 8:45am – Shuttle items must be dropped off
- 8:55am – Mandatory racer meeting
- 9:00am Race start – All categories
- 1:00pm – Shuttled items from Rest Stop 1 expected back
- 1:30 pm – Awards Ceremony #1
- 3:00pm – Awards Ceremony #2
- 3:00pm– Shuttled items from rest stop 2 expected back
SWANK 65 REVIEWS
- “2019 Swank” – Racing Bikes Raising Kids 11/5/2019
- “Swank 65 – what’s a day in Pisgah without plenty of surprises?” – Annie Rides Bikes 11/6/2018
- “2018 Swank 65” – Racing Bikes Raising Kids 11/6/2018
- “Swank 65k, Brevard, NC” – mtbracenews.com 11/5/2015
- “Swank 65k in Pisgah” – Shovels and Spokes11/18/2012
- “A SWANKY RACE REPORT” – Speedy Lizard Racing 11/13/2011